This blog follows no particular theme. My constant craving soul just wont allow it! This is my musings on wisdom, travels, life in Spain, kettlebells, running, rock music and so much more.

Monday, March 29, 2010

It is safer this way

Due to "the black cloud over my head and someone pulling a string that is tied tightly around my heart" time of month I am going to post a writing assignment from last years class. It is safer that way.

LOOKING OUT MY WINDOW

Every morning when I look out of my living room window I feel like the luckiest human being on earth.
Sipping my coffee I close my eyes allowing the sound of the Atlantic Ocean crashing upon the beach to regenerate my spirit.
There are birds chirping around me but as I open my eyes they are nowhere to be seen. It is highly possible that these little creatures are hiding among the green of the bushy trees in the park below. It is a small park and all that the trees conceal from my view are a few gray concrete benches and a shady spot, a much needed respite during the long hot summer days.

A smile comes upon me as the scene below is interrupted with the approach of “the gang”, as I call them. These four old men stroll along the white stone tiled beach promenade. One is holding an umbrella even though there are no clouds in sight. Every day they walk there, up along that path which follows the cliffs edge and then back down again towards the center of the town, often pointing out to sea and a couple of them holding onto their straw fedora hats when the wind picks up its strength. Today the ocean is slightly uneven, the wind causing it to be unsettled in a sparkling cocktail of green and blue, acting like a frame for the town in the distance. It is only the rugged fishing pier that breaks the frame. The pier is fully stocked with boats of all shapes and sizes, their white wooden masts pointing up into the sky.

The ocean bathes the small town in a somewhat holy glow of light and reminds me of a place more exotic and oriental. Maybe this is because of the delicate pale color of the sand on the beach below it and the heavy palm trees circling that desert area. The buildings being mostly white makes the three old stone towers even more noticeable as the main characters of this town. These majestic towers belong to the church, castle, and market place which all date from the discovery of the new world.
Yes, I am indeed one of the luckiest people on earth to get to wake up and sip on my coffee to this view; it could very well be the definition of unbelievable.

7 comments:

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

just reading that makes me really feel like I need a vacation. based on your description, another name for Espana could possibly be paraiso.

Diana said...

If I somehow happen to come into a large amount of money I am SO coming to your house!!
What a gorgeous view-I'd be "bragging" over that whenever possible!

Alee said...

Wow! I felt like I was right there with you. I sip my coffee every morning looking out into a parking lot, 1000 miles from an ocean. I agree with pp, I need a vacation. Beautiful writing!

Annika said...

Awww, glad you all liked my writing and that it made you realize the need of a vacation! After all there is not much better then a vacation! (that is why I try live like I am vacation all year, lol!)

Nikosmommy said...

mmm great post. And YOU are truly lucky to live in such a great place!

Traveller said...

Aww..feeling a little jealous of your beautiful location..although the sun is finally shining in London today!

Annika said...

Yay for my wicked life!
Oh enjoy the sun in London!