This blog follows no particular theme. My constant craving soul just wont allow it! This is my musings on wisdom, travels, life in Spain, kettlebells, running, rock music and so much more.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Now why is she posting a photo of the KKK?

So I didn't dress up as an Easter witch today, I know, I am sooo lame! But I still do have the chance to follow a Spanish Easter tradition and dress up like a member of the Ku Klux Klan! Oh yay!



OK, not really. It is Semana Santa here in Spain this week, Holy week. From Palm Sunday to Resurrection Sunday, everyday is a spectacular pageant of devotion and also mourning to the final week of Jesus’ life. So you may encounter lifelike wood or plaster sculptures of individual scenes of the events that happened between Jesus' arrest and his burial, or images of the Virgin Mary showing grief for the torture and killing of her son.



The processions began in 15Th century Andalusia and became very fancy for the purpose of showing off Catholicism and bringing the religion out to the people and paraded through the streets for all to see.
The floats are carried on the shoulders of men called costaleros (sack men), under the burden of the float which weigh between 1,500 and 2,000 pounds, only their feet and calves are visible to the public (sometimes chained). Accompanying them are penitentes (penitents), members of the procession who repent their sins carrying crosses or holding burning candles. They wear distinctive robes and cone-shaped hoods to symbolize repentance and grief. (Info gathered from Naval Station Rota's Facebook page.)



I have still not yet been to see one of these parades... But will go tomorrow for the big one! It is supposed to be a very stunning experience with brass bands playing religious hymns or flamenco singing written for the occasion and also colors galore. Religious or not, it should not be missed!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is going to be bitchin! You are so fortunate to live where you do. There isn't much wonderous things going on where I live. Except for the boom box parade during christmas, which is just people's pick up trucks dressed up as sleds and old ladies with santa hats on. MAN! I hope you have the best time ever! TAKE ALOT OF PICTURES AND TELL ME WHEN YOU POST THEM SO I CAN SEE!! and pretend I was there..that will work too. Wow this is a long comment.

Annika said...

Love your long comment! Made me smile!
Yeah, I know I am so fortunate. And I am extra fortunate since I actually realize the fact! So many people take the life for granted and just bitch and moan.
See imagination is the best, you will join me there, haha!

Nikosmommy said...

Wow, what a special time! Easter week really is an important occasion in Spain. You really ARE so fortunate to live somewhere with so many deep, and significant traditions!!! Happy Easter!!

Anonymous said...

Glad Påsk Annika! Ville bara säga det, och att jag älskar din blogg!!! Otroligt intressant, rolig, fin och inspirerande. Rock on I say... Nina Kuru

XXX

Johana Hill said...

Girl you're lucky! By me Easter means an excuse to consume more booze. LOL

Can't wait to read all about the event when you do write about it. You are writing about it, right?

Annika said...

Tack Nina!! Saknar dig och Glad pask!!!

Oh yes it was magical and I promise to write about my whole weekend come sunday!

Happy Easter all!!!! Enjoy the booze!

The un-Zen Runner said...

I was in Cordoba and Madrid during Easter processions a few years ago. I love the culture there! Hopefully you were able to make it to Marti Gras in Cadiz. Amazing!